Monday, March 8, 2010

Male Dominant?

I went and observed the Mormon Church on Sunday. I seen a lot of different things that I didn't really expect. I'm also baffeled that they sit through three hours of church every Sunday. On this particular Sunday the Bishop didn't speak instead he allowed the people of the Flock too. The flock are the members of the Mormon Church. Some of the people would come to the front of the church and give their testimonies. This is where they talk about something that they learned or when they felt God had answered their prayers. Some of the stories were really touching, while others I wasn't really able to understand. Most of the women who got up there ended up crying, or getting teary eyed. I also sat through something much like Sunday school. There were five students and a leader, who taught the lesson. The boys were really annoying and didn't pay attention to a word he was saying. While the girls tended to pay close attention. I was also given the opprotunity to sit through what they call Young Womens. This is a group of teenage girls between 12-19. They come together and talk about different, and sometimes are told to make cookies and what not.

I wondered for the most of the day if this is a male dominant religion. Why did a boy come into the room and tell the girls to make them cookies for Wednesday? Was this just a one time deal or do the Young Womens always make cookies? Why was the bishop a male and not female? Why was the organ player a female, and not a male? These were the questions that I had. I wonder why none of the fathers seemed to tend to the children but rather the busy mothers did. Could this be a male dominant religion, and if so why? When will it be the womens turn to rule?

No comments:

Post a Comment